Graduate Student Laboratory Instructors (Up to 21 Positions) - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
$19.75 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
September 2021 – April 2022
The Chemistry Department seeks applications for laboratory instructors in First year Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Spectroscopy laboratories for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Lab instructor responsibilities will be:
- Acting as supervisor of students for online or in person undergraduate laboratories
- Provide instruction and guidance on topics and procedures required for the completion of each lab at the beginning of undergraduate labs
- Ensuring chemicals, solutions and equipment are used in the laboratory safely
- Following Standard Operating Procedures
- Responsible for marking lab reports and submitting marks to course instructor
- Proctoring and marking of exams will be required
- Instructors may be asked to assist prepare, administer, or moderate online and in person lab resources or act as a resource for students during online and in person labs
- Applicants will have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or a related field, and be enrolled in a graduate program at UPEI
- Students hired will be required to successfully complete an on-line WHMIS course and attend a mandatory Site Safety Training session prior to the first lab session
Only applicants who clearly state they are available for afternoons and evenings will be considered. Please indicate hours available to work, both afternoons and evenings. Include current phone number and e-mail address. Please note that instructors for either or both academic terms will be chosen from this competition. Applicants wanting to be considered for second term only must apply now and indicate this on their application. If an applicant has a preference for instructing either online or in person please state so in your application.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.