MTS Level 7 With a Market Adjustment to MTS Level 8 - Virology Technologist - Regional Diagnostic Virology Services - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
$62,268 to $68,493 per annum as per CUPE 1870
The AVC Diagnostic Services is seeking application from qualified candidates to fill a Virology Technologist Position in the Regional Diagnostic Virology Services. The individual will work as part of a team in the provision of the diagnostic virology testing services for the provinces of Atlantic Canada, other places in Canada, and internationally. The individual will also be involved with virology test development (molecular and traditional) and its implementation, adaptation of tests, laboratory investigation work, certified testing by the Canadian Animal Health Surveillance Network (CAHSN) and CFIA and maintenance of ISO 17025 certification of the laboratory by Standards Council of Canada.
- Performs virus detection utilizing traditional technologies such as Fluorescent Antibody Test (FAT) in tissues, Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) and virus isolation in mammalian and aquatic species
- Performs molecular diagnostic technologies for detection of viruses such as qPCR, traditional PCR, RT-PCR, nested PCR and technologies related to sequencing
- Performs immunological diagnostic tests such as ELISA, Indirect Fluorescent Antibody Test (IFAT) and Virus Neutralization (VN) test
- Performs day to day tasks related to infectious virus and molecular diagnostic work such as aliquotting of reference viruses and other infectious materials, aliquotting of molecular (primers and probes) and traditional diagnostic and research reagents and storage and inventory of these diagnostic material
- Performs troubleshooting work for molecular and traditional virology testing
- Prepares, organizes, records, aliquots and properly stores and discard diagnostic samples
- Prepares Standard Operating Procedures, Biosafety Applications, PSDS, and other Quality Assurance and laboratory documentation
- Participates in research and development (molecular and traditional) projects of RDVS, re: multiplex assay development and validation and other molecular assays for detection of viruses and other microbial agents in mammalian and aquatic species
- Participates in the implementation of tests utilizing new diagnostic technologies currently being developed and will be developed in RDVS, e.g. multiplex assays, new generation sequencing, etc.
- The successful candidate must hold a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science or Medical Laboratory Technologist Certification
- Experience in any of the following related disciplines: microbiology, immunology or molecular biology is required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a veterinary microbiology laboratory (virology, bacteriology and parasitology)
- Experience in a research and test development setting, e.g. diagnostic assays
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in molecular diagnostic techniques, immunodiagnostic techniques, cell culture and aseptic techniques
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Computer skills including those related to molecular biology (re: primer design)
- Strong people skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.