Student Research Assistant (Up to 2 Positions) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
$15.75 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
May 1, 2022 to September 15, 2022
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering is seeking applications for up to two (2) temporary student research assistant positions.
- These positions are required to work in lab and field environments (potato and wild blueberry fields in PEI, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick) under the direction of Dr. Aitazaz Farooque, Associate Professor & Industry Research Chair – Precision Agriculture, to collect geo-referenced soil, crop, environmental and yield data.
- The incumbents are required to assist with data interpretation, entry and analysis using statistical, geo-statistical and geographical information system (GIS) tools.
- The incumbents are required to help in soil and crop sample preparation, lab analysis, sensor data acquisition and field/crop mapping using the differential global positioning system (DGPS) and GIS
- The incumbents are required to assist with data collection from agriculture fields using drones, machine vision, and various other sensors.
- The incumbents are required to assist with data analysis using deep learning and artificial intelligence models
- The incumbents are required to design experiments, add bio solids in potato plots, collect soil, leachate, nutrient runoff, and greenhouse gas emission samples
- The students will be trained in developing precision agriculture technologies for agriculture production systems. The students will be encouraged to participate in industry field days and meetings to present research results
- Must have good computer, sensors, and software skills
- Must have a good academic record and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Willingness to work in lab and field environments
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel within Atlantic Provinces to collect research data
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.