Employment Officer - Human Resources Department
67,930 to $75,314 per annum
The Department of Human Resources is seeking an energetic and experienced Employment Officer to join our fast paced, service-oriented Recruitment team.
Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources and the Associate Vice-President, Human Resources and Legal, the Employment Officer will work along side the Human Resources Officer on recruitment and employment initiatives as follows:
Recruitment and Selection
- Provide guidance to hiring managers regarding staff and student recruitment and selection
- Approve job postings, sit on hiring committees as the HR representative and coordinate and guide selection committees
- Participate in selection interviews, and coordinate tests/assessments
- Ensure compliance with all collective agreements, policies and standard operating procedures, legislation, and EDI requirements
- Conduct reference checks and make verbal offers of employment to selected candidates
- Initiate the preparation of formal contracts and letters of offer
Classification and Performance Management Coordination and Administration
- Under the direction/guidance of the Human Resources Officer, co-ordinate the job evaluation committee and participate as an active member in evaluating all university positions
- Track and document the completion of the performance review process on an annual basis to ensure compliance across the University
- Participate in the development of HR policies and procedures
- Assist with other Human Resources activities
- Perform other duties as required
The position requires the following qualifications and skills:
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in Human Resources Management or relevant discipline and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 years’ of directly related experience in human resources. CHRP designation and experience working in a unionized work environment would be considered an asset
- Knowledge and/or experience applying principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in hiring and employment processes would be considered an asset
- Prior experience with recruitment, classification, and performance management administration
- Effective organizational, problem-solving, planning, and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in computerized HRIS/Payroll systems, spreadsheets, and database software
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and a customer service orientation with the ability to develop and maintain productive interpersonal relationships with staff, faculty, professionals, and external agencies
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.