Digitalization Student Assistant - Robertson Library
$13.70 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
August 29, 2022 to August 30, 2023
The Robertson Library is seeking applications for a qualified individual to work under the direction of the Community History Librarian. The successful candidate will work with library staff to prepare and upload new additions to the free digital newspaper archive islandnewspapers.ca as well as participate in other digitization projects as they arise.
- Digitize archival materials (microfilm, books, photographs, etc...) using a variety of professional quality scanning equipment
- Process scanned images using a variety of different software programs (ex: ScanTailor and Adobe Photoshop)
- Prepare metadata spreadsheets about the items scanned
- Ensure that scans and data meet quality standards
- Work on other quality assurance tasks
- Load content into the Library’s digital asset management system
- Track work in a project management software
- Assist with other tasks in the Digitization Lab as required
- Comfortable with MacOS and Windows operating systems and file management (eg. moving, copying, organizing files)
- Experience with image editing software
- Experience with Google Apps (eg. Google Sheets, Docs, Drive, etc..)
- Demonstrated ability to perform repetitive work while ensuring careful attention to detail
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to work independently
- Experience using scanners and/or photographic equipment
- Experience with a web-based content management like Drupal
- Knowledge of the Islandora Digital Asset Management System
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.