Lead Student Assistant - Experiential Education and English Language Centre - Student Experience Hub *Reposted*
$16.10 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
April 25, 2022 to September 2, 2022 with possibility of extension in the fall semester (approximately 15 hrs/wk in fall and winter, dependent on performance and funding)
Working with the English Language Centre professional staff, summer students will engage as tutors and mentors in a wide array of activities designed to assist new students to master English and ease the transition to a new culture. The successful candidate will support and mentor a small team of student assistants to conceptualize design and run socio-cultural programming for various groups of international students attending short-term language programs at UPEI.
- Greeting students in a friendly manner, answering inquiries and directing students to the appropriate staff person
- Conceptualize, organize, lead, & budget English language program socio- cultural activities
- Provide support and mentorship to small team of student assistants
- Collaborate with instructors to align activities with academic content
- Provide mentoring and tutoring to EAL learners with their English language skills
- Recruit volunteers to assist EAL students transition to life in PEI and to practice speaking
- Assist with maintenance of social media platforms
- Assist with research on current and future projects
- Perform other duties as required
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role and familiarity with a post-secondary environment
- Strong leadership skills; ability to adapt quickly to situations
- Ability to lead a team of student assists
- Ability to liaise with supervising staff
- Experience organizing events
- Strong computer skills with a keen eye for detail
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in both a team environment and independently and be willing to work occasional evenings and/or weekends
- A customer-service orientation and be comfortable interacting with people from many countries
- Cross-cultural experience and familiarity with working in a post-secondary educational environment is a definite asset
- Ideally, the candidate is an undergraduate student with second or third year standing
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Previous applicants from Competition #08S22 need not reapply.