ADS Level 5 - Administrative Assistant (Bilingual) - Department of Modern Languages, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, and the Applied Communication, Leadership, and Culture Program - Faculty of Arts *Amended Closing Date*
$45,224 to $49,769 per annum, prorated to annual term as per CUPE 1870
The Faculty of Arts is seeking applications from qualified individual to provide administrative support services to the chairs and director of three Arts units: Modern Languages, Sociology and Anthropology, and Applied Communication, Leadership, and Culture.
This position engages with three dynamic units within the Faculty of Arts. The successful applicant will report directly to the chairs/director of those units. The nature of this position requires an individual who is efficient in a multi-tasking work environment, and who has high levels of competencies in office-related computer technologies and all online UPEI systems, an ability to work independently, excellent analytical and planning abilities, strong motivation and sound interpersonal skills, and excellent communication skills in French and English.
- Provide core operational and administrative support to the chairs and director, and to a large faculty. These core functions include:
- Representing three Faculty of Arts units as the initial point of personal, electronic, and telephone contact, presenting a professional and congenial image to the public, faculty, students and other university staff, especially when responding to student inquiries on program requirements, course offerings and timetable, etc.
- Assisting with the development of teaching schedules, curriculum and calendar changes
- Establishing and maintaining a well-organized administrative departmental filing system
- Updating and maintaining program websites
- Maintaining sessional roster, preparing contracts and checklists according to FA regulations
- Coordinating student assistants and French assistants, preparing paperwork and approving bi-weekly timesheets
- Organizing and disseminating student opinion of teaching surveys every semester
- Updating and distributing program promotional materials
- Maintaining an email distribution list for students, faculty, and alumni; distributing program news through email lists
- Answering student inquiries with respect to admissions, course offerings and timetable
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, charts, spreadsheets, and statistics using software appropriate to the Faculty of Arts
- Monitoring and maintaining an up to date record of the Department’s budget, preparing requisitions and other forms to meet operational needs
- Monitoring and maintaining sufficient office supplies: tracking the ordering of all supplies and equipment
- Coordination of preparing and setting up new offices and other program-related spaces; administering all room bookings and classroom changes
- Performing other related duties as assigned
- Successful completion of Grade 12
- Post-secondary education in an administrative assistant program with two years related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Skills in office management and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Moodle, E-Mail usage, myUPEI, Google docs, knowledge of PowerPoint, Internet searches and data management programs considered an important asset
- Demonstrate superior customer service orientation and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written fluency in English and French is essential
- Strong time-management, organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and establish priorities in a fast paced multi-tasking environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Familiarity with the BA requirements
- Knowledge of UPEI operations, its regulations and policies is an important asset
- Previous experience in research grants considered an asset
- Good understanding of social media considered an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.