The Certificate in Adult Education focuses on: understanding adult education learning theory and philosophies; becoming aware of the diverse needs of adult learners; and, learning and applying the methodologies and strategies needed to teach adults.
The CAE consists of 9 courses (36 semester hours). Three (six semester hour) courses are offered by Holland College, and six (three semester hour) courses are offered by UPEI. Holland College and UPEI offer the required courses on a yearly basis and the electives over a two-year period.
All courses are offered either fully online, or face-to-face in one-week summer institute formats or in the late afternoon, early evening or weekend hours, to try to accommodate working professionals. Most face-to-face courses have some blended delivery, or online component. Courses are offered in each of the three academic terms.
For more information, refer to Holland College's Certificate in Adult Education page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need more information about Certificate in Adult Education (CAE)?
The required courses are:
- ED 3110 Methods and Strategies in Adult Education I (6 semester hours) Holland College
- ED 4220 Methods and Strategies: Instructional Design for Online Learning (6 semester hours) Holland College
- ED 3010 Practicum in Adult Education (6 semester hours) Holland College
- ED 3630 Understanding the Adult Learner (3 semester hours) UPEI
- ED 3620 Communication Practices (3 semester hours) UPEI
- ED 3640 Assessment of Adult Learning (3 semester hours) UPEI
In addition, students will select 3 additional courses from the following Adult Education electives:
- ED 3680 Curriculum
- ED 3080 Activity-Based Learning
- ED 3660 Technology
- ED 3730 Special Needs
Note: Post-degree certificates must be completed within four years of the first registration in a required course.
UPEI has about 250 faculty—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. Award-winning faculty from around the globe have made UPEI home. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.