Asian Studies Director
Professor and Asian Studies Director
BA, MA, PhD (Toronto)
- Modern Confucian ethics and spirituality Comparative Religion: interreligious dialogue
- Confucian-Christian dialogue
- East Asian religions in Canada
- Neo-Confucianism (especially the Korean tradition)
Teaching and research
Areas of Teaching Expertise & Experience
- Eastern religions: Buddhism East & West; Chinese Religion & Philosophy; Japanese Religion & Culture
- Introductory courses: World Religions; Religious Studies: An Introduction
- Comparative religion: Mysticism in Buddhism and Christianity; comparative ethics (Confucian and Christian); and Interreligious Dialogue
- Advanced studies: Theory and Method in the Study of Religion
- Religions in Canada: East Asian traditions and development
- 2011: Nominated by the University of PEI Students Union for the Faculty Member of the Year
Research Expertise & Interests:
- East Asian religion and thought (especially Korean Neo-Confucianism)
- Comparative religion: interreligious dialogue (Confucian & interreligious); comparative ethics (Confucian & Christian)
- Modern Confucian ethics and spirituality
- Religion and modernization in Korea
Research Grants & Awards Received:
- winner of the University of PEI Faculty Association Merit Award for Scholarly Achievement, 2017
- winner of the University of PEI Presidential Award of Merit for Scholarly Endeavours, 2015
- 4 SSHRC Institutional Grants (SIG), UPEI (2004-2011)
- 4 SSHRC-General Research Grants (internal) (1994-2001)
- 8 Senate Committee on Research, University Grants (SCRUG), UPEI (1991-1998)
- 5 Travel Grants, UPEI (2003-2010)
- 3 major international research grants from: The Academy of Korean Studies (Dec. 2014-17), UCLA–AKS (2011-14), and The Korea Foundation (1998)
- a major 3-year (2017-2020) grant (about $330,000) awarded by Korean Studies Promotion Service (KSPS), The AKS (Academy of Korean Studies, South Korea) to promote Korean Studies teaching and research in the Asian Studies Program (interdisciplinary minor) at UPEI
- These research grants (twenty-four since 1991) for the following scholarly works:
Ongoing book projects
- a 3-year book project (fully funded by Korean Studies Promotion Service, The Academy of Korean Studies - an international grant) on an annotated translation and interpretation (with a comprehensive introduction) of a major 18th-century Korean Neo-Confucian text.
- preparing a full-length monograph book manuscript on the religious thought (ethics and spirituality) of Yi Hwang (T'oegye), a leading 16th-century Neo-Confucian thinker.
- co-editing a full journal volume (consisting of 8 selected scholarly articles including mine) on a special international conference theme: "Good and Evil on Korean Philosophy, Religion, and Spirituality" (covering Buddhism, Confucianism, Christianity, and modern Korean thought.). Being considered for publication (Dec. 2019) by Acta Koreana (an international journal of Korean Studies). Currently under peer review.
Scholarly Publications, Presentations and Activities: by Edward Chung (one author or presenter)
- Dec 2017-June 2018: I organized, developed, and hosted a Korean Studies International Conference at UPEI. Special theme: "Good and Evil on Korean Philosophy, Religion, and Spirituality" (covering Buddhism, Confucianism, Christianity, modern Korean thought , etc.). This was externally funded by the Ministry of Education, South Korean government through KSPS (Korean Studies Promotion Service), The AKS.
See http://www.upei.ca/communications/events/2018/06/international-conference-asian-studies-upei 15 eminent scholars (including Robert Buswell [UCLA] as the keynote speaker and Don Baker [UBC]) and productive young scholars from USA, Korea, and Japan were invited and participated in this successful conference.
- 2016: a major scholarly book, A Confucian Way of Life and Thought: The Chasŏngnok (Record of Self-Reflection) by Yi Hwang (T'oegye [1501-1570]). Korean Classics Library: Philosophy and Religion Series. Honolulu: The University of Hawai'i Press. 277 pages. Cloth (hardcover) edition (copyrighted by UCLA). ISBN: 978-0-8248-5584-0.
- 2015: Korean Confucianism: Tradition and Modernity. Seoul: Center for International Affairs, The Academy of Korean Studies Press. 181 pages. Hardcover ISBN: 979-11-86178-14-0-03150.
- 2011: an international Journal volume edited (Edward Chung as "Guest Editor"), Korean Confucianism and Ecology: A Theme Issue. Acta Koreana (ISSN: 1520-7412), vol. 14, no. 2, 223 pages total with my "Introduction" (14 pages) and article contribution (19 pages).
- 1995: The Korean Neo-Confucianism of Yi T'oegye and Yi Yulgok: A Reappraisal of the "Four-Seven Thesis" and Its Practical Implications for Self-Cultivation. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, xxvii and 325 pages (CD version, 1998).
Books chapters and journal articles:
- Eight (8) book chapters (18-29 pages) on the similar topics: e.g., in The Idea of Ki/Qi: East Asian and Comparative Philosophical Perspectives (Lexington Press, 2019), Ecology and Korean Confucianism (Keimyung University Press, 2013), East Asian Confucianisms: Interactions and Innovations (Confucius Institute and Rutgers University Press, 2011), Confucian Spirituality, vol. 2 (NY: Crossroad, 2004), etc.
- 13 journal articles (1992-2012) on Neo-Confucian ethics and spirituality, modern Confucianism, and comparative religion (e.g., Studies in Religion; Monumenta Serica: Journal of Oriental Studies; Acta Koreana; The Annual Review of Women in World Religions; Asian Profile; Korean Studies in Canada; Korea Journal; etc.)
- 2 forthcoming articles: a book chapter in Korean Confucian Philosophy (Springer, 2019) and a forthcoming article In the Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Religion (fall 2019).
Conference papers and activities (1987-2019):
- 49 selected/refereed/invited conference papers presented at the 5th World Humanities Forum (Busan, Korea, Nov. 2018); the Annual Meetings of American Philosophical Association (APA-Eastern 2017 and 2019; APA-Central, 2019) and the American Academy of Religion (AAR; since 1987); 20th International Association for the History of Religions Conference (U. of Toronto, 2011); Canadian Asian Studies Association (CASA; 1987-2006); Canadian Society for the Study of Religion (1988-2006); 5th Keimyung International Conference on Korean Studies (2011); Harvard University's Confucian Spirituality Conference (1997); Conference on Korean Confucianism in the Global Context (George Mason University, 2010); International Conference on "East Asian Confucianisms: Interactions and Innovations" (Rutgers University, 2009); 22nd International Conference on T'oegye Studies (Yeungnam University, Korea, 2009); etc.
- one major invited university talk (2016) for the U. of Toronto East Asian Studies Speakers Series (2016).
- serving as the panel Chair and/or discussant at several annual meetings of the AAR and CASA.
- Co-ordinator, Asian Studies Program, UPEI (1995-2000; 2011- )
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Religious Studies, St. Mary's University and Joint MA Program in Theology and Religious Studies, SMU and Atlantic School of Theology, Halifax (2011-2014-2017)
- international member, The President's Advisory Council on Democracy, Peace and Unification, The Government of South Korea (2011-2014)
- international professor-scholar (invited), Dankook University - 2010-2014 International Summer Campus, Korea
- Chair, Department of Religious Studies, University of PEI (2003-2006-2009)
- Adjunct Professor, Korea University (Institute of International Education), Seoul, 2006
- international professor-scholar (invited), Korea University - 2006 International Summer Campus, Korea
- external assessor, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (for Standard Research Grants Program), 2006
- external reviewer of book manuscripts, State University of New York Press (since 1997)
- external reviewer of published textbooks and new book manuscripts/proposals, Oxford University Press of Canada (since 2000)
- peer reviewer of journal article manuscripts, The Journal of Korean Religion (since 2016)
- external reviewer of book manuscripts, The University of Hawaii Press (since 2018)
- President, The Korean Associations of PEI, Canada (Since July 2008)