Student Laboratory Assistants (Up to 9 Postions) - Department of Physic - Faculty of Science
$14.50 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay
January 4, 2023 – April 13, 2023
The Physics Department seeks applications for student laboratory assistants for the Winter 2023 term for PHYS-1120L- General Physics II and PHYS-1220L- General Physics II. Additionally, a single position is available as a general support person for public telescope viewings and Physics 1510.
- Acting as a general resource person for students during the lab
- Monitoring student operations in conducting experiments
- Ensuring all computer and lab equipment is used safely
- Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as applicable
- Assist in public telescope viewings with the potential to operate the telescope
- (Astronomy course only) and lead small groups in astronomy viewings independently
- Enrolled as a UPEI student
- Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which they are selected to assist, or have relevant alternative experience
- Preference will be given to students taking Physics as their major or minor
- Previous experience as a laboratory assistant is an asset
Applicants will be required to fill out an online form to indicate their time availability at https://forms.gle/TAnA2Bkic1oAM5eG6. Positions may be time-shared based on time availability.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.