Business Development Officer - Research Services - Vice-President Academic and Research
$74,884 to $83,024 per annum
As soon as possible to November 30, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The Business Development Officer is responsible for advancing research and inventions into commercial opportunities and/or developing partnerships to support research and development at UPEI. This position involves supporting the innovative research and research collaborations within UPEI and engaging extensively with external partners.
- Work with industry, government agencies and not-for profit organizations to develop collaborative partnerships with UPEI faculty
- Work to identify and assess Intellectual Property (IP) arising from UPEI that has potential commercial value
- Develop recommendations for protection and commercialization of IP arising from UPEI
- Work with Research Services to ensure efficient execution of required agreements to support projects
- Support the development of business models for new innovation-based opportunities
- Develop marketing strategies for UPEI technologies to attract licensees/ partners
- Have an extensive understanding of the funding landscape and identify and advise on potential industry related and commercialization funding opportunities
- Support the writing, review and editing of research funding proposals
- Organize and participate in networking, training, and business development events
- Build an extensive academic and business network in order to help identify potential partnerships
- Introduce clients interested in research collaborations to faculty members with compatible research interests
- Work closely with and act as a liaison between UPEI and external partners and identify and manage any problems that arise within those partnerships
- Participate on various committee’s (UPEI’s animal care committee, PEI’s Venture Development Coordinating Committee, SpringBoard Atlantic’s grant review committee)
- Represent UPEI at conferences, tradeshows, or other events, as required
- Report and present progress in accordance with predetermined metrics to various internal and external stakeholders
- A Master’s Degree and 2 years relevant experience but would consider a bachelor’s degree with extensive experience in partnership development
- Experience working with university and industry partners
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders and projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple projects and/or tasks
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and part of a team
- Must be willing to travel
- Additional credentials, such as a Business Degree, would be considered an asset
- Experience in fields related to intellectual property and commercialization is considered an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, email@example.com.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.