MTS Level 3 - Animal Care Attendant - Small/Large - Casual List - Veterinary Teaching Hospital
$21.93 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay as per CUPE 1870
Casual, as needed
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at the Atlantic Veterinary College requires Animal Care Attendants to work on a casual, as needed, basis to support the Small Animal and Large Animal Hospitals during peak times and busy periods, which may include weekdays, weekends and UPEI closures.
Under supervision, job responsibilities will include:
- Basic cleaning and disinfection of equipment and animal holding areas, following infection control guidelines
- Provide feeding and follow feeding instructions
- Provide assistance with the safe handling and restraint of small and large animal patients
- Provide assistance to Animal Care Attendants, Veterinary Technicians and Clinicians for routine and emergent examinations, diagnostic procedures and treatments
- Assist with the daily care and husbandry of hospitalized patients within a primary care, referral, and emergency setting
- Work as required with equipment and maintain the highest standard of cleanliness
- Assist with processing online pet food client sales and assist with maintaining pet food inventory in the hospital
- Interact with and facilitate communication between clients, students, and hospital staff
- Maintain the highest standards of professionalism in all interactions and communication including respecting patient/client confidentiality
- Includes working some weekends, some statutory holidays and UPEI closures
- A graduate of Grade XII, or an equivalent combination of training and veterinary/animal experience
- 6 months’ experience in the safe handling and restraint of small and/or large animals, with experience in a clinical setting considered an asset
- Experience or certification in low-stress animal handling would be considered an asset
- Must have basic competency in use of computer systems and spreadsheets
- Must have ability to lift weights up to 25kg
- Must be self-motivated with a strong work ethic and reliable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently, but also as part of a team
- Must be prepared to work some weekends, some statutory holidays and UPEI closures
In your application, please specify your experience with small and/or large animals and state whether you are interested in working in the Small Animal Hospital and/or Large Animal Hospital.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.