MTS Level 8 - Research Technician - Department of Biomedical Sciences - Atlantic Veterinary College
$64,793 to $71,253 per annum, prorated to time and term, as per CUPE 1870
The Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC) at the University of Prince Edward Island seeks applications for a permanent part-time position as a research technician in the Department of Biomedical Sciences. The Department of Biomedical Sciences is a primarily research and teaching based department containing a broad base of Biomedical disciplines.
The successful candidate will provide specialized research support and laboratory management to faculty in the areas of neuro-behavioural testing, neurophysiology, histopathology, and protein quantification. These activities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting neuro-behavioural testing in rodents
- Data collection and statistical analysis
- Validating and conducting ELISAs
- Western blotting and immunocytochemical staining protocols
- Training and assisting junior lab personnel on the aforementioned techniques
- Assisting in the preparation data for publication
- Organizing and maintaining laboratory inventory and documentation
- Other related duties as required
- The successful candidate will have a university-level degree (MSc preferred) in a neuroscience related field, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in laboratory-based rodent neuro-behavioural and/or protein quantification
- A thorough knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of neuro-behavioral testing in rodent models is essential, preferably with experience with tests of communication, affect and cognitive function
- Familiarity with relevant video-tracking software, ultrasonic vocalization analysis software and statistical analysis software appropriate to neurobehavioral research is a definite asset
- Additional relevant education and/or experience as well as familiarity with university policies and procedures is also an asset
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially and effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment with minimal supervision is essential
- A history of training and overseeing trainees in rodent neuro-behavioural testing is strongly preferred
- Experience planning, executing, and analyzing experimental data is highly desirable
- Candidates must be capable of working with rodents in close proximity for prolonged periods
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and evidence of the ability to maintain effective interpersonal relations
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.