Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner - Provincial Adult ADHD Program - UPEI Health and Wellness Centre (Grant Funded) *Reposted* *Amended Closing Date*
$97,430 to $108,026 per annum (Grant Funded) (Relocation funding is available)
The UPEI Health & Wellness Centre is launching a Provincial ADHD Program for Adults on PEI. The program is funded by the Department of Social Development and Housing and UPEI. The program is seeking a Nurse Practitioner (NP) as part of the team of professionals who will support individuals who are living with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The NP will provide direct service and work closely with other members of the Provincial ADHD Program and may become part of the UPEI Health & Wellness Team in the new medical school. The NP will report directly to the Director of the UPEI Health & Wellness Centre.
- Direct clinical service to individuals 16+ who are referred to the Provincial ADHD Program. Performing comprehensive, focused health assessments and diagnosis using a holistic framework and multiple assessment techniques relevant to individual’s state of development, culture, health, and health problems. The individuals may have multiple co-morbidities, including past criminal behaviors
- Provide health care management and therapeutic intervention, consultations, and referrals in emergent and unstable client situations, initiating consultation with physicians and other practitioners as required
- Select, prescribe drugs and other therapies, and counsel clients within the scope of practice
- Perform invasive and non-invasive procedures to restore, regain or maintain physiological stability of client as required by context of practice as well as perform advanced elective procedures as required
- Provide patient services through autonomous coverage as initial point of entry, triage, and direct clients as appropriate to care providers. Initiate referrals to other service sites/providers when indicated by acuity
- Provide health promotion and illness prevention through direct guidance and counselling through collaboration with clients, interdisciplinary teams and community members in assessing relevant needs
- Provide health education and counselling through the use of teaching and learning principles and plan health promotion and illness prevention strategies by building on client and community resources
- Maintain and promote a culture of safety within the organization
- Provide case consultation and related supports to the professionals with the Provincial ADHD Program to support their clinical work and enhance client care
- May liaise with other program/population areas (e.g. Holland College, Provincial Corrections, 2SLGBTQIA etc.). This could include assessing the clinical needs of these communities and augment traditional clinical service with evidence informed clinical outreach
- Performing diagnostic interviews (structured and unstructured) with clients to collect relevant information which will aid in the diagnosis of ongoing health problems and illnesses
- Participate in team meetings, coaching and mentoring sessions and individual/group counselling sessions
- Master’s degree from recognized Nurse Practitioner program (all ages, primary care required) and a minimum of 5 years relevant nursing experience in a combination of hospital and community settings
- A background in working with individuals with ADHD or additional training related to ADHD would be considered an asset
- Eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse with the endorsement as a Nurse Practitioner with the College of Registered Nurses of PEI; where currently registered, must be a member in good standing
- CPR certification
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in medical and nursing physical assessments and treatment methods
- Critical thinking proficiency to assess, analyze, diagnose, select treatment, evaluate, and refer patients with common acute or chronic health conditions, or for health promotion/illness prevention
- Knowledge of practice setting programs and the community it serves, as well as current grasp of evidence-based primary health care approaches and epidemiology issues pertinent to the catchment area and available resources
- Ability to liaise effectively with relevant stakeholders (e.g., UPEI/Holland College students, Provincial Correctional Facility, etc.)
- Demonstrated strengths in clinical work with cultural and other groups and personal diversities
- Demonstrated effective professional skills including time management, interpersonal skills, oral and written skills, effective team building skills, collaborative, and consultative practice skills
- Working knowledge of Mental Health Act, FOIPP, Consent to Treatment Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Youth Criminal Justice Act, Child Protection Act, Health Professions Act, and other legislative frameworks as needed
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Nurse’s Association Code of Ethics
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory criminal record and vulnerable sector check prior to beginning employment
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.