MTS Level 6 - RVT - Small Animal ICU/Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College *Reposted*
$56,709 to $62,366 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment supporting primary care clinicians and veterinary specialist experts across a small and large animal caseload? Do you want to be part of training and shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we would love to have you join us!
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital is seeking a Registered Veterinary Technician to join in a full-time permanent position within the Small Animal Emergency Service with the flexibility and initiative to float to support the Small Animal ICU and other areas of the teaching hospital to perform other veterinary technician duties in support of patient care and hospital operations.
This position will have primary responsibilities in the Small Animal ICU with secondary responsibilities within the VTH:
Small Animal ICU Duties:
- Work within a team to undertake technical duties and responsibilities in support of patient and client care across the ICU specialty service caseload and the primary care emergency service
- Completing and assisting with treatment and monitoring orders for patients
- Perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including triage of urgent and emergency presentations, animal handling, restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring status of hospitalized patients and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Participating in various roles during a CPR event
- Maintain detailed and accurate patient medical records
- Accurately maintaining and updating patient billing and working with clinicians and client services staff to ensure that patient bills are completed and paid prior to patient discharge
- Monitoring, advising, and assisting veterinary students working in the Small Animal ICU and the Emergency Service, and veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs
- Support client services staff in ensuring an excellent client experience, including answering triage calls, taking payments, and providing updates
- Support VTH interns/residents and emergency service clinicians with client communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education/care)
- Ensure safe administration of medications, treatments, and procedures to patients of varying health status
- Assist with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring patients under sedation
- Stocking and maintaining supplies, including reconciliation of Cubex inventory cabinets, in various hospital locations
VTH Technician Duties:
- Assist as required with small animal hospital services in support of efficient and high standards of patient and client care
- Monitoring, assisting with and completing treatments and procedures for patients, including submitting request forms and liaising with other services in the VTH
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any findings or abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or status of their care and well-being
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards and other related technician duties as assigned
- Must be willing to participate in a rotating schedule that will include evening/weekend/holiday work
- Must be willing to be assigned in an on-call schedule that may be required for hospital operations
- Participate in the training of veterinary students, technician students and post-graduate program veterinarians with confidence and support
- Maintain collegial and professional interactions and communication with colleagues, students, and clients at all times
- Maintain safe, respectful, professional, and ethical conduct, handling, and interactions with patients and during patient care as befitting a veterinary teaching hospital environment and in accordance with veterinary regulatory bodies
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) designation is required
- Demonstrated clinical experience working with small animal patients is required
- Clinical experience working with patients is an emergency or ICU setting is preferred (with specialty referral hospital experience considered an asset)
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience and confidence with nursing and handling small animal patients, placing catheters, and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection, assisting with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring sedated patients, performing patient assessments, and administering required treatments
- Must possess strong work ethic and accountability with demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills with colleagues and clients, with experience working in a teaching environment an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in inputting, maintaining, and reviewing patient billing
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with electronic medical records is required, with preference given to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks and Smart Flow
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Closing date: February 19, 2023 (6:00 pm AST)
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.