MTS Level 5 - Medical Laboratory Assistant - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
$52,265.00 - 57,511.00 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
ASAP to July 2024 (20 Month Term) (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The Clinical Pathology Laboratory at the Atlantic Veterinary College requires a Medical Laboratory Assistant to provide primarily technical support with some clerical duties.
- Assist with sample analysis in the areas of hematology, chemistry cytology, and urinalysis
- Perform general equipment checks and maintenance
- Prepare/store reagents, solutions, and stains to specifications
- Transport biological and other hazardous materials to Central Services and perform disinfection procedures according to standard operating procedures and CL2 requirements
- Enter laboratory samples into Laboratory Information Management System
- Prepare referral samples for shipping to referral laboratories in North America. Package samples according to Transportation of Dangerous Goods guidelines
- Enter referral results into the Laboratory Information Management System (LMS) and has results verified by a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT)
- Answer telephones and respond to callers’ requests and inquiries
- Maintain File room by filing reports, packaging reports for long term storage, preparing papers for shredding, and maintaining faxing lists and supplies for the photocopier
- Assist in updating procedures and protocols, as well as other reference information and communications
- Open mail and distribute to appropriate areas
- Photocopy, scan, email, and fax reports as required
- Assist other laboratories within Diagnostic Services as needed
- Other duties as required
- Successful completion of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Diploma from a College recognized by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
- Successful completion of national CSLMS certification examination
- Must be registered with the CSMLS as a certified laboratory assistant
- Must have two years of technical experience in a medical/diagnostic laboratory
- Must have keyboarding experience
- Experience in a Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory would be an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, email@example.com.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.