MTS Level 7 With a Market Adjustment to MTS Level 8 - Medical Laboratory and Research Technologist - Histology - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
$62,268 to $68,493 per annum as per CUPE 1870
Diagnostic Services invites applications from qualified and experienced medical laboratory technologists for a permanent full-time Medical Laboratory Technologist position for the Histology Laboratory.
The successful technologist will be the lead for all research services provided by Histology and will also be responsible for performing diagnostic work.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing immunohistochemistry method development and validation
- Providing immunological and molecular staining techniques (IHC and ISH)
- Providing microphotography and digital imaging-services
- Preparing experimental designs, performing literature searches, preparing data tables and spreadsheets, and analyzing results
- Meeting with researchers to discuss research projects
- Communicating with vendors on reagent needs
- Assisting the pathologists in placing fixed tissues in the processing cassettes
- Processing the tissue cassettes on the tissue processor
- Embedding the processed tissues
- Sectioning (single or serial) slides from the embedded tissues
- Staining the prepared slides and interpreting for quality of staining
- Preparing teaching slides
- Preparing QA and QC slides
- Cataloging slides and blocks
- Maintaining all client information and technical records in the Laboratory Information Management System
- Performing proper Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures for the laboratory
- Performing maintenance procedures
- Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) designation is required
- Relevant years of related experience in a histology laboratory are required
- Relevant years of experience with immunological and molecular staining techniques (IHC and ISH) are required
- BSc would be an asset
- Experience in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory is an asset
- Excellent organizational, computer and communication skills are required
- Experience with quality control protocols and with ISO standards is desirable
- Good bench skills are essential
- The ability to work under minimal supervision, to multitask and to troubleshoot technical issues at the bench and instrument level is desirable
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.