Student Assistants - Service Desk (Up to 5 Positions) - Robertson Library
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
August 18, 2022 – April 30, 2023
To apply for a position, the Robertson Library requests resumes and cover letters addressing the responsibilities and qualifications in this job posting for student positions for the 2022 - 2023 academic year. This competition will also create a list for possible future openings that will remain in effect until December 30, 2022. Some evening and weekend work will be required as needed.
Successful applicants will:
- Learn how an academic library's Service Desk operates through involvement in a wide range of library routines and workflows, including: signing out and checking in resources, re-shelving resources, responding to directional, technical support, and library-related questions on the phone and in-person, and other duties as required
- Assist library patrons in the use of computers and equipment including Windows PCs and Macs, printers, multimedia equipment, copiers, scanners, and microfilm scanners/readers
- Help monitor and actively contribute to social media accounts for the Robertson Library including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Assist library staff with projects as assigned and other duties as required
- Enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Prince Edward Island
- Experience providing high quality customer service
- Comfortable working with the public and working within a team environment
- Able to work independently on assigned projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Experience using social media tools
- Able to understand and apply library policies
- Experience handling transactions and using a cash register
- Able to handle heavy library materials, books, carts, etc. and stand for extended periods of time
- Knowledge of the Robertson Library
Student Assistants will be provided paid mandatory training. This training, in August, is required to prepare candidates for shifts the first week of September.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.