MTS - Research Technician - Department of Physics - Faculty of Science (Grant Funded) (Off Scale)
$45,000 per annum, as per CUPE 1870 (Grant Funded) (Off Scale)
As soon as possible for a 6-month term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
A Research Technician with expertise in molecular biology is sought for a full-time 6-month position at the University of Prince Edward Island located in Charlottetown, PE, Canada.
Working with a team of researchers in Physics, Engineering, Chemistry and Veterinary Medicine at the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI), the successful candidate will:
- Assist with the development of a hand-held device for the rapid detection of the virus that causes COVID-19. The work will include the identification of pathogenic targets of interest using a nucleic acid amplification procedure
- The candidate will also design and carry out laboratory experiments to establish the sensitivity and specificity of the molecular assay used in the device
- This position provides an opportunity to be involved with the application of the latest molecular techniques to solve a real-world problem
- MSc in Biology or related field
- At least 3 years of experience with DNA and RNA purification and amplification techniques
- The candidate requires in-depth knowledge of molecular biology in order to provide reliable and helpful scientific advice based on experience with the technology employed.
- Experience in PCR and LAMP primer design, and knowledgeable of applicable software
- Expertise using statistical measures for assay/test evaluation
- Experience with protocols for lyophilization of nucleic acids
- The candidate must be able to work with minimal direct supervision
- Knowledge of recently published relevant papers in the scientific literature is important, and application of applicable new information to the development of a proprietary device is desired
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.