Graduate Laboratory Instructors (Up to 21 Positions) - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
$20.20 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
September 2022 – April 2023
The Chemistry Department seeks applications for laboratory instructors in First Year Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Spectroscopy laboratories for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Lab instructor responsibilities will be:
- Acting as supervisor of students for in person undergraduate laboratories
- Providing pre-lab instruction / talks and guidance on topics and procedures required for the completion of a lab at the beginning of the lab period
- Ensuring chemicals, solutions and equipment are used safely
- Following Standard Operating Procedures
- Responsible for marking lab reports and submitting marks to course instructor
- Proctoring and marking of exams will be required
- Act as a resource for students during labs
- Answering or assisting with student questions related to the laboratory material by email outside of scheduled lab time to assist in students completing lab reports
- Enrolled in a graduate program at UPEI
- Applicants will have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or a related field which requires the equivalent knowledge and laboratory experience for the area of chemistry they will instruct
- Applicants hired will be required to successfully complete an on-line WHIMIS course and attend a mandatory Site Safety Training session with a duration of 2 hours held during normal business hours (8:30AM – 5PM) prior to the first lab session
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.