Health, Safety and Environment Manager - Office of the Vice-President, Finance and Administration
Commensurate with qualifications
The University of Prince Edward Island invites applications for a permanent full-time position of Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Manager. Under the general direction of the Vice-President, Administration and Finance, this position is responsible for the strategic focus, specialized coordination and management of the Occupational HSE Management System.
- Planning, development, implementation, advising and on-going evaluation of Occupational HSE Management System including: OHS Manual, Laboratory Safety Manual, policies, procedure standards and practices
- Ensure compliance with PEI Occupational Health and Safety Act and other government legislation and regulations
- Key functional representative on the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) and local campus Health and Safety Working Groups
- Provide input and advice on OH&S policy direction and ensure delivery of the OH&S strategy and programs
- Develop, implement and maintain data collection and reporting with respect to the University’s HSE Management System and programs, ensuring reports are available to senior administration as required
- Coordinate and/or conduct the OHS inspections, in collaboration with the JOHSC and Health and Safety Working Groups members. Ensure the key stakeholders receive a report of the findings and that corrective actions are implemented to demonstrate due diligence
- Investigate HSE incidents, hazards, risks and recommend appropriate actions to prevent recurrence to the appropriate supervisor
- Act as the HSE subject matter expert for UPEI to interpret OH&S legislation, due diligence and the internal Responsibility system
- Ensure all stakeholders are informed of, and understand, the legal responsibilities imposed upon them and the University in respect of workplace health and safety
- Develop, conduct and/or coordinate OH&S training to groups and individuals to ensure compliance with federal, provincial and local regulations to include but not limited to the PEI Occupational Health and Safety Act, Violence in the Workplace legislation and the Workers’ Compensation Act
- Liaise with government departments, agencies and other academic institutions
- Work collaboratively with the Human Resources Offices in respect to Workers’ Compensation Claims
- Coordinate with external vendors on completion of training (i.e. Fall Protection, Confined Space, Working at Heights, Forklift, First Aid, Spill Response, TDG, WHMIS, etc.) testing (i.e. Indoor Air quality) and inspections (i.e. Annual certification of engineered controls, Fume Hoods, Biological Safety Cabinets, etc.) required to protect health and safety
The preferred candidate will possess the following:
- Post-Secondary education in Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Health, Safety and Environment or related field
- Progressive leadership experience in Health, Safety and Environment roles
- Experience and training workplace parties in HSE processes
- Proven knowledge of the PEI Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, PEI Workers’ Compensation Act and Regulations
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Superior communication skills (verbal and written) with a demonstrated ability to build strong, positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders with a focus on customer service
- Demonstrated problem solving skills with the ability to use discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues
- Strong presentation skills
- Computer competence and proficiency in MS office applications including computerized data bases, word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Current certification in occupational health & safety preferred (i.e. CRSP)
- Experience in a unionized environment preferred
- Experience in an academic environment is an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.