ClimateSense Internship - PEI Department of Social Development and Housing - School of Climate Change and Adaptation (Grant Funded)
$22,500 for Term (Grant Funded)
June 21, 2021 to December 17, 2021 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The ClimateSense Professional Internship Program is designed to build climate change adaptation capacity in recent post-secondary graduates as well as host organizations within the public and private sectors. Interns will complete an internship placement with a provincial government department, non-governmental organization, business, industry association, or other external organization. Interns will work with mentors within the host organization to complete a sector-specific adaptation project and will also take part in the ClimateSense Training and Professional Development Program.
This internship involves placement with the Housing Action Plan Division with the PEI Department of Social Development & Housing.
- Assess energy efficiency retrofits for the Department of Social Development & Housing’s existing building assets and considerations in new builds
- Based on a pre-existing inventory of buildings and renovation upgrades, review and plan the appropriate and feasible retrofits to these buildings, including estimates and budgeting
- Conduct coastal flood and erosion risk assessment on Department of Social Development & Housing’s properties and building assets
- Develop adaptation strategy for the exterior of buildings and the surrounding property to foster positive actions toward climate change
- Assess infrastructure needs for new social housing developments that would be consistent with climate change needs. For new builds, consideration would need to be given to green infrastructure, location of building, and connections with alternative transportation systems, in relation to the provincial Sustainable Transportation project
- Research green building technologies and net zero building technologies
- Participate in ClimateSense Training and Professional Development Program, as well as other training opportunities provided by the mentoring organization
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation activities throughout the duration of the internship
Successful applicants will possess the following qualifications:
- Graduate of a post-secondary institution within the last 5 years
- Applicants must have successfully completed a degree or diploma program in construction and/or architectural technology, or equivalent qualification
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in energy auditing or in the interpretation of energy audits
- Knowledge of architectural design, design engineering and sustainable building technologies
- Knowledge of climate science, climate change and adaptation techniques will be considered an asset
- Demonstrable background knowledge and/or education in another relevant environmental science
- Post-secondary course work or climate related training will be considered an asset
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with various software programs such as Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel
- Ability to work independently and take initiative where appropriate
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to write quickly, effectively, and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills and the ability to effectively lead or participate on teams in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Must be adaptable and flexible within a variety of situations
- Successful applicant must have their own transportation and valid driver’s license
- Must have reliable internet access and ability to telework
- Required to provide proof of an acceptable criminal records and Vulnerable Sector Check
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.