Student Research Assistants (Up to 2 Positions)- Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
$16.10 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
May 15, 2022 – August 31, 2022
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering is seeking applications for up to two (2) temporary student research assistant positions.
These positions are required to work in lab and field environments under the direction of Dr. Aitazaz Farooque, Associate Professor & Industry Research Chair:
- Precision Agriculture, to collect geo-referenced soil, water, and environmental samples
- The incumbents are required to assist with water and soil quality sampling, use of geo-positional devices, and analysis of data using geographical information system (GIS) tools.
- The incumbents are required to help in soil preparation, lab analysis, and field/crop mapping using the differential global positioning system (DGPS) and GIS
- The incumbents are required to assist with data preparation for hydrological modelling.
- The incumbents are required to assist with development of soil classification and environmental data collection (Leachate, runoff, emissions)
- The incumbents are required to assist with prediction and forecasting using climatic variables
- The students will be trained in soil and water technologies for agriculture production systems
- Students will be encouraged to participate in industry field days and meetings to present research results
- Must have good professional and technical skills
- Must have a good academic record and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Willingness to work in lab and field environments
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel within Atlantic Provinces to collect research data
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.