MTS Level 8 - Laboratory Technologist - Diagnostic Services - Bacteriology - Atlantic Veterinary College
$62,268 to $68,493 per annum as per CUPE 1870
Diagnostic Services invites applications from experienced and motivated medical laboratory technologists to provide technical and related laboratory services in the discipline of veterinary bacteriology. Diagnostic Services is a fee for service laboratory with internal AVC clients and external clients from across Canada.
• Perform routine bacteriology and mycology testing on samples from aquatic, avian, and mammalian animal species submitted to the Diagnostic Services Bacteriology Laboratory
• Set up, processing and analysis of bacteriologic and mycotic submissions using traditional, MALDI-TOF MS, and molecular techniques, as well as antimicrobial susceptibility testing by disk diffusion (Kirby Bauer) and broth microdilution
• ISO certification of the laboratory dictates on-going policy development and method validation responsibilities
• Responsible for entering submissions into a laboratory management system and reporting results
• Must be responsive in a timely, effective and professional manner to the service, teaching, and research mandates of AVC
• Assist with fourth year DVM diagnostic services bacteriology rotations (VPM 4500)
• Routine laboratory maintenance and inventory of supplies and isolates are required
• A Medical Lab Technologist (MLT) designation and a relevant number of years of practical diagnostic bacteriology experience are required
• Equivalent education with significant diagnostic bacteriology laboratory experience will be considered
• Experience with molecular diagnostic testing, method validation, policy development, working in a Containment Level 2 laboratory, working in a veterinary diagnostic bacteriology laboratory, and ISO 17025 and 17043 certifications will be considered assets
• The technologist must have excellent flexibility, organizational skills, and attention to detail to prioritize work, function independently, and complete a high volume of tasks accurately under pressure of deadlines with frequent interruptions and/or distractions
• Good interpersonal communication skills are required
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.