MTS Level 4 - Medical Laboratory Assistant - Clinical Pathology Laboratory - Atlantic Veterinary College
$43,633 to $47,978 per annum as per CUPE 1870
The Clinical Pathology Laboratory at the Atlantic Veterinary College requires a Medical Laboratory Assistant to provide technical and clerical support.
The Medical Laboratory Assistant provides support by:
• Receiving and entering samples into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Ensuring all samples are adequately identified and sample requirements have been met for the diagnostic tests requested
• Providing support to laboratory technologists with pre analytical and post analytical processing, including but not limited to, centrifugation of samples, aliquoting of samples, printing barcodes, labeling samples, preparing and staining slides
• Preparing referral samples for shipping to referral laboratories in North America by packaging samples according to Transportation of Dangerous Goods guidelines and completing required paperwork
• Reviewing invoices from referral laboratories for payment and verifying they match test requests before entering into Colleague to request payment
• Receiving and maintaining supply inventories
• Answering telephones and responding to inquiries
• Photocopying, scanning, emailing and faxing reports as required
• Maintaining the file room by filing reports, moving appropriate files to long term storage, arranging for shredding of documents, and maintaining the photocopier
• Performing daily, weekly and monthly duties including disinfection of benches, proper disposal of waste, maintenance of equipment, cleaning and storing slides, pipette calibration, maintaining temperature logs for refrigerators, incubators, freezers, and water baths
• Preparing reagents
• Coordinating dates, agenda, and minutes for Clinical Pathology meetings
• Assisting with updating procedures and protocols, as well as other reference information and communication
• Other duties as required
• Must have successfully completed a Medical Laboratory Assistant Diploma from College recognized by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) and have successful completion of national CSLMS certification examination
• Must be registered with the CSMLS as a certified laboratory assistant
• Must have technical experience in a medical/diagnostic laboratory
• Must have keyboarding experience
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.