Student Research Assistants (Up tp 2 Positions) - Department of Physics - Faculty of Science
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – August 19, 2022
Dr. James Polson is seeking two research assistants to work on a project using computer simulation methods to study the physical properties of polymer systems.
- Writing and/or modifying a molecular Monte Carlo simulation program designed to investigate the dynamics and conformational behavior of polymers in confined and crowded environments
- Generating data with the simulation program by carrying out calculations on Compute Canada computer clusters
- Analysis of the resulting data to determine the scaling properties of the polymer free energy and using the results to test analytical theoretical predictions
- Successful candidate will have completed at least two years of an undergraduate physics program
- Experience using numerical methods to study physical systems
- Experience with programming in C/C++ or related language
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.