Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner - Health and Wellness Centre
August 26, 2019 to September 4, 2020 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Vice President Administration and Finance and the Director of the UPEI Health and Wellness Centre are looking for a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner who can function autonomously within a collaborative practice setting while providing advanced holistic care of acute and chronic illness to clients across the lifespan.
Reporting to the Director of UPEI Health and Wellness Centre, the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner manages a nursing caseload as an integral member of a Health and Wellness Team. The Team is composed of a variety of health care providers and team which may vary dependent on identified university community needs. The Practitioner works collaboratively with all health care providers. Direct client services provided by the Nurse Practitioner include client assessment, diagnosis and treatment of minor illness, health promotion and chronic disease prevention and management.
• Perform comprehensive, focused health assessments and diagnosis using a holistic framework and multiple assessment techniques relevant to client’s stage of development, culture, health and health problems
• Provide health care management and therapeutic intervention, consultations and referrals in emergent and unstable client situations, initiating consultation with physicians and other practitioners as required
• Select, prescribe drugs and other therapies, and counsel clients within the scope of practice
• Perform invasive and non-invasive procedures to restore, regain or maintain physiological stability of client as required by context of practice as well as perform advanced elective procedures as required
• Provide patient services through autonomous coverage as initial point of entry, triage and direct clients as appropriate to care providers. Initiate referrals to other service sites/providers when indicated by acuity
• Provide health promotion and illness prevention through direct guidance and counselling through collaboration with clients, interdisciplinary teams and community members in assessing relevant needs
• Provide health education and counselling through the use of teaching and learning principles and plan health promotion and illness prevention strategies by building on client and community resources
• Participate in the orientation of primary care staff and peer review of nursing practice as well as the overall evaluation of the practice setting’s programs and services
• Ensure maintenance of statistical records and participate in analysis of data
• Maintain and promote a culture of safety within the organization
• Master’s degree from recognized Nurse Practitioner program (all ages, primary care required) and a minimum of 5 years relevant nursing experience in a combination of hospital and community settings
• Eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse with the endorsement as a Nurse Practitioner with the College of Registered Nurses of PEI
• CPR certification
• Thorough knowledge and proficiency in medical and nursing physical assessments and treatment methods
• Critical thinking proficiency to assess, analyze, diagnose, select treatment, evaluate, and refer patients with common acute or chronic health conditions, or for health promotion/illness prevention
• Knowledge of practice setting programs and the community it serves, as well as current grasp of evidence-based primary health care approaches and epidemiology issues pertinent to the catchment area and available resources
Additional information may be found in the attached Job Description.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email..
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.