Youth Worker - Explore Program - Work Integrated Learning and English Language Centre
July 2, 2019 to August 9, 2019 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The University of Prince Edward Island is seeking a Youth Worker for its 2019 Summer Explore program. The Summer Explore program is a five week English as an Additional Language (EAL) Program that hosts Canadian and International students who are 16 and 17 years of age. Explore consists of formal EAL classes during weekday mornings and organized socio-cultural activities during weekday evenings and weekends. Participants also live in residence on campus and eat together at the cafeteria.
• Counsel students regarding personal and social issues such as homesickness, depression, sexuality, self-esteem, relationship skills, and interpersonal skills
• Assist with mediation of student conflicts
• Liaise with co-workers and program coordinators regarding students
• Be an active member of the staff team
• Be willing to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends
• Be willing to live in residence at the UPEI
• Other tasks as directed by the Program Coordinator
• Diploma, Child and Youth Care Worker or Human Services, or a Bachelor of Social Work, or a post secondary diploma or degree and related experience
• Verbal fluency in French and English
• Crisis intervention training
• Experience developing and/or leading educational programming for teens
• Knowledge of culture shock and demonstrated methods for assisting those coping with it
• Demonstrated counseling skills
• Demonstrated leadership and experience working with teens
• Creativity and reliability
• Proven decision making ability
• Ability to work independently and with a team
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.