Student Facility Turf Monitor - Department of Athletics and Recreation
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
April, 2022 – April 30 , 2023
The Athletics & Recreation Department requires energetic, enthusiastic and sport-minded student staff person who enjoys working both indoors and outside for the position(s) of FACILITY MONITOR / TURF MONITOR. Work locations for this position include the UPEI Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre, UPEI Artificial Turf Field and Alumni Canada Games Place Track and Field.
Our student employees are the front-line customer service professionals who strive to provide all UPEI members, facility users and guests with an excellent service experience. Employees are part of a larger team, including other students and department staff that know how to have fun, work hard and take “PRIDE” in their work.
- Perform opening and closing duties at all venues (Alumni Canada Games Track, UPEI Turf Field, Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre) and monitor access of all users
- Adhere to all current Covid19 protocols set by both the CPHO and the UPEI Health and Safety Department and ensure user groups are following protocols
- Must be able to carry / move / set-up sporting equipment such as volleyball, pickleball and soccer nets, assist Panther Central desk staff in moving basketball nets and gymnasium separation curtains up and down, and other tasks to assist in setting up for booked activities. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Greet all visitors and user groups, sign participants in, monitor the location for the duration of the booking and ensure users adhere to booking times
- Direct guests/spectators to appropriate user/seating areas; provide guests with directions or other venue information, monitor supplies, and act as an emergency contact person while on-site
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
- Assist in maintaining safety of venues for all users/spectators – check for hazards, waste, equipment repair needs, etc.
- Report these to the manager of Campus and Community Recreation
- Interest and knowledge in sport and maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Positive attitude, dependable, courteous, with an ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and with other team members as needed
- Experience in cash handling, sales and working with events is considered an asset
- Previous experience working with community/sport groups is considered an asset
- Ability to adjust to quickly changing, unexpected circumstances in event operations
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekdays, weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Current CPR and AED certification or agree to obtain this certification at own expense
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.