PA Level 9 - Network Systems Administrator - Information Technology Systems and Services
$71,390 to $78,535 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible to June 30, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The Department of IT Systems & Services is looking for someone to join our dynamic team as we begin our network modernization and revitalization project. This individual will work closely with others in the department to support the delivery of critical services utilizing a variety of server and network assets. The revitalized network will be the foundation that supports UPEI’s enterprise IT systems and services.
Implement and support the efficient and reliable operation of datacenter hardware and software and support the deployment and operation of the new campus network, including such activities as:
- Install, configure, monitor, and maintain:
- Local and wide-area network equipment
- Wireless infrastructure
- Active Directory File, Print and Directory services
- Server hardware and operating systems
- Server-based software
- Data storage including SAN and NAS technologies
- Other enterprise IT systems as required
- Create and maintain system and network records and operating documentation
- Maintain scheduled backup/restore processes
- Diagnose and correct operational issues
- Maintain security of network
- Consult with and provide technical support for stakeholders within and outside the department regarding the use and performance of server and network systems
- Contribute to the research, design, and implementation of methods of meeting newly identified institutional needs
- Document work performed using established departmental methods
- This role involves after hours and weekend overtime work, particularly during the network implementation phase
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field) and five year’s work experience in a server and network support role, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience is required. As well as holding a professional certification such as MCSE Server Infrastructure / CISCO CCNA, an in-depth knowledge in the following areas is also required:
- IT Network administration (including Wireless systems), with proven experience in a CISCO environment (experience with CISCO Software Defined Networking would be considered an asset)
- Microsoft Windows Server with Active Directory and related software services (e.g. file and print sharing, LDAP, etc.)
- Azure & O365 services
- Enterprise backup systems
- Datacenter virtualization technologies including on-premises, hybrid, and hosted cloud services
- Enterprise data storage SAN, NAS, Cloud (Azure, O365)
- Installation, configuration, and operation of infrastructure hardware and peripherals
- Local and wide-area network equipment (wired and wireless) and TCP/IP protocols (inc. switches, APs, routers, fiber-optic systems, VLAN configuration)
- Internet technologies and standards including routing (e.g. BGP, OSPF)
- Enterprise security technologies and methodologies (e.g. firewall, intrusion detection, vulnerability assessment,)
- Tools and methods for the monitoring and diagnosis of datacenter and network performance
The following would be considered beneficial:
- One or more of these industry certifications: Microsoft (MSCE), Cisco (CCNA), Linux (LPI), Project Management (PMI), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Aptitudes for problem solving, system design, and programming
- An ability to work independently as well as within a team
- A desire to continuously learn, to be continually challenged, and have an innovative approach to providing solutions and opportunities to clients
- Ability to document your work
- A strong commitment to excellent client service and teamwork is a fundamental requirement for this position, along with very strong communication skills, both oral and written
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.