EAL Instructors - Explore Program - Spring/Summer English as an Additional Language - Work Integrated Learning & English Language Centre
This competition will be used to staff both the Spring and Summer programs. Fewer positions are available for the Spring session. Full term instructors will be hired for the period of May 20, 2019 to August 9, 2019. Additional positions will be added for the Summer Program July 2, 2019 – August 9, 2019. (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements).
Please indicate on your application your availability for Spring, Summer or both programs.
Two Explore Programs will be offered in 2019 for Canadian and International students. A spring program for those 19 years of age and older and a summer program from those 16 – 17 years of age. Participants have formal EAL lessons weekday mornings and organized socio-cultural activities during weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends. EAL Instructors are responsible for the planning and delivery of daily lessons, and the organization of one or more three hour workshops each week.
Instructors report directly to the Academic Coordinator and are responsible for:
• EAL instruction
• Course design
• Curriculum evaluation and revision
• Facilitation of weekly workshops and extra-help sessions
• Formative and Summative evaluations of student achievement
• Participation in weekly staff meetings
• Participation in a minimum of one socio-cultural activity one evening per week
• Some evening and weekend work required in addition to regular teaching duties
• Chaperone possible overnight trip(s) with Explore students and staff
• Creating a positive learning environment
• Other duties as assigned by the Academic Coordinator or Program Coordinator
• B.Ed or other degree with equivalent work experience
• EAL teaching experience
• Proficiency in English
• Current First Aid and CPR certification
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• ESL teaching certificate
• Experience working in cross-cultural settings
• Class 4 Driver's License - to drive a 15-passenger van
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email..
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.