Student Assistants - Technology Deployment Support Technician (Up to 2 Positions) - Information Technology Systems and Services
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
May 2, 2022 – August 26, 2022
The role of a Technology Deployment Support Technician is to be an active member of a team of IT professionals at UPEI. There are several roles that require support including the deployment of a large number of desktops and laptops, deployment of Microsoft Active Directory, conversion of email systems, developing and delivering end user training for a number of software platforms, conducting data collection and analysis on IT assets and performance.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software to deliver required desktop service levels
- Assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to PC boxes, including the installation of CPUs, I/O and NIC cards, RAM, and so on
- Collaborate with ITSS technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of UPEI desktop computing environment
- Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, messages, and/or e-mails regarding desktop problems
- Answer to and perform moves, adds and changes (MAC) requests as they are dispatched
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations
- Maintain an inventory of equipment
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC and desktop hardware, including Windows and iOS
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail
- Self-motivated and directed, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute task
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Lifting and transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.