Executive Assistant to the Office of the Vice President and Health, Safety and Environment - Office of the Vice President Administration and Finance
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Administration and Finance, this position will provide confidential administrative support to the Office of the Vice President and the Health, Safety and Environment Office. The position will represent the office by creating a safe, positive and welcoming atmosphere while providing information through confidentiality, tact and diplomacy. The University of Prince Edward Island invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Office of the Vice President. This position provides backup administrative support to the Vice President, Administration and Finance.
This position reports directly to the Vice President Administration and Finance, and is under the general supervision of the Manager of Health, Safety and Environment. The position works with a high degree of independence and must exercise strong decision-making ability and sound judgment, on matters requiring the Vice President’s attention and is expected to determine priorities, deadlines and objectives. The incumbent collaborates with other University management and staff to achieve priorities.
- Provides executive level support to the Office of the Vice-President Administration and Finance, pro-actively gathering required background needed for efficient decision-making
- Develops, establishes and maintains information tracking systems, including electronic schedules, physical and electronic filing systems, budget/invoicing process and reports, expense reports, and email management
- Schedules, maintains and prepares confidential materials, background and logistical support documentation for the Vice-President Administration and Finance and related members as required
- Arranges meetings, prepares agendas, minutes and related background materials, following up on action items in a timely manner, as required
- Conducts special projects and research initiated under the Office of the Vice-President Administration and Finance
- Provides courteous, accurate and timely customer service to students, staff and external clients and refers inquiries and issues to appropriate areas
- Maintains detailed knowledge of administration, finance, Health & Safety, Biosafety, and Emergency Management policies, procedures, programs and organizational structures to respond effectively to various stakeholders
- Responsible for maintaining website content relevant to the Health, Safety and Environment Department and managing inquiries for UPEI SAFE mobile app
- Provides additional administrative support for the Biosafety Officer, Contracts and Insurance Office, and Emergency Management Program
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education in Office Administration or Business Administration or equivalent, and three to five years of progressive experience in a fast-paced, highly confidential office environment
- Prior work experience in Health & Safety and familiarity with Emergency Management would be considered an asset
- Comprehension of UPEI policies and Government OH&S Acts & Regulations considered a strong asset
- Strong organizational and document management skills
- Strong analytical and time management skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet given deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written English communication skills
- Confident and professional telephone manner
- Ability to demonstrate and maintain high level of diplomacy, judgment and confidentiality
- Excellent customer service skills, including initiative, problem solving and follow through
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office and G Suite for the preparation of presentations, tables, reports, statistical charts and data manipulation
- Aptitude for learning new software and experience in database management considered a strong asset
- Good working knowledge of budget preparation and financial/administrative data processing systems
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.