Student Fitness Centre Supervisors (Up to 2 Positions) - Department of Athletics and Recreation
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
September 2022 to December 2022 (with the possibility of extension for the winter 2023 semester)
The Athletics and Recreation Department is looking for exceptional student staff to work in the Fitness Centre. The Fitness Centre Supervisor is responsible for all activities that occur inside the fitness centre. Keeping the area safe for members is top priority.
Student employees are expected to conduct themselves professionally in the following ways:
- Training, promoting programs/services, managing time, developing leadership skills
- Customer Service, supporting co-workers
- Fulfill job responsibilities, enforcing policies, risk management, professionalism, honesty, ethical decision-making, trustworthiness
- Demonstrating to members how to properly use equipment and conduct exercises
- Supervision of sports centre members at all times
- Monitor access to the fitness centre
- Regularly check fitness equipment for damages
- Report damages to facility & equipment and any abusive behaviour
- Follow emergency care procedures in the event of an injury or emergency situation
- Attend mandatory monthly meetings, orientations and training
- Ensure members using the fitness centre are following the policies, rules and weight room etiquette
- Provide accurate information and answers questions regarding hours of operation, programs and policies
- Clean fitness centre equipment
- Standing for long periods of time required
- Some physical labour is required
- Report to and perform other duties as assigned by the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator
- Enrollment in UPEI Kinesiology program given preference but not mandatory
- Good knowledge of fitness centre equipment
- Basic knowledge in health and fitness
- A professional demeanor – reliable, well prepared, respectful and relates well to people
- Strong customer service skills and/or experience
- Positive attitude, energetic, courteous, good telephone etiquette and attention to detail
- Able to work well within a teamwork environment
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekdays, weekends and holidays. As well as early morning, day and late shift
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Applicants must have excellent customer service skills and positive attitude in serving students and other members.
- All student staff must have current CPR and AED training and WHMIS or agree to obtain this certification at their own expense
Please include fall class schedule with resume.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.