MTS Level 7 - Parasitology/Bacteriology Technician - Department of Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College *Reposted*
$59,900 to $65,850 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
AVC Diagnostic Services department invite applications from interested individuals to provide technical support for the Parasitology Diagnostic Laboratory and teaching/research support for the Department of Pathology and Microbiology.
- Performing diagnostic tests for the detection of parasitic infections in fecal, blood, urine, and tissue samples
- Recovering, identifying, and enumerating parasites from various animal tissues
- Provision and general operation of the clinical parasitology diagnostic laboratory
- Evaluating and preparing samples for the Veterinary Laboratory Proficiency Program
- Setting-up and participating in teaching Parasitology and Bacteriology/Mycology student laboratories
- Coordinating and assisting with major technical aspects of bacteriology research projects for a full-time faculty researcher- research involves conventional bacteriology techniques, cell culture, molecular biology techniques and proteomics. This activity requires performance of routine maintenance and calibration of equipment and maintenance of stocks and records of microorganisms used in the laboratory. This activity also involves management of supplies and assisting with the biosafety certification of the CL2
- A significant portion of the position involves using compound and dissecting microscopes for the recovery and identification of helminth, arthropod and protozoan parasites of wild and domestic animals, aquaculture species (finfish/shellfish) and wild fish hosts. The successful candidate will also provide explanations of diagnostic test results and offer guidance on diagnostic tests selection to healthcare professionals (human and veterinary) as requested
- The position requires extensive work applying parasite recovery techniques in the necropsy of wild and domestic animals and finfish and shellfish
- Candidates should have a BSc in biology
- A MLT with three (3) years related experience or other combinations of education and experience
- Knowledge and experience in parasitology, bacteriology, immunological and molecular techniques would be desirable
- Computer experience with suitable data management programs would be an asset
- Requires good oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to learn and adapt to new techniques
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Previous applicants from Competition #24E22 need not reapply.