MTS Level 8 - Laboratory Technologist - Toxicology - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
Diagnostic Services invites applications from experienced and motivated laboratory technologists to provide technical laboratory services in the discipline of veterinary Toxicology. Diagnostic Services is a fee-for-service laboratory with internal AVC clients and external clients from across Canada. This is a fast paced ISO/IEC 17025 accredited diagnostic laboratory with specified turn-around times.
• Performance of toxicological analytical chemistry/diagnostic test methods including extraction of chemical analytes from various matrices such as water, soil, feed and animal bodily fluids and tissues; screening and quantitative analyses of test samples by HPLC, LC/MS/MS, Atomic Absorption, GC-MS and other analytical instrumentation; and associated QC activities according to standard requirements
• Performance of laboratory investigative work including incident investigation and reporting, corrective and preventive actions and risk reviews
• Performance of test evaluation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of accredited tests according to ISO/IEC 17025 standards
• Participation in the development, validation and application of Toxicology Analytical Services’ diagnostic test methods according to ISO/IEC 17025 standards, Official Journal of the European Communities and ICH guidelines
• Participation in ISO/IEC17025 internal and external quality audits to support the Quality Management System
• Participation in the development, review and/or approval of Toxicology Analytical Services’ quality documents and records
• Assistance in the supply management of the lab by obtaining quotations, completing requisitions, reviewing incoming orders, and performing cost analysis
• Participation in the monitoring and maintenance of laboratory equipment and the working environment according to ISO/IEC 17025 standards
• Review of analytical technical data and report test results according to ISO/IEC 17025 standards
• Direct client contact
• Maintenance of customer service ensuring the needs of Diagnostic Service clients is met according to ISO/IEC 17025 standards
• BSc in Chemistry and/or a Medical Lab Technologist (MLT) designation and a relevant number of years of current practical diagnostic analytical chemistry laboratory experience preferred or a BSc with Chemistry minor with a relevant number of years of current practical diagnostic analytical chemistry laboratory experience are required
• Theoretical and practical knowledge of method validation of chromatographic methods and experience with relevant instrumentation such as HPLC, LC/MS/MS, GC-MS, AAS or ICPMS are required
• Current experience with ISO/IEC 17025 is required; ISO/IEC 17043 experience would be an asset
• Relevant experience working in an analytical chemistry laboratory setting and experience in maintenance and troubleshooting of instrumentation of various complexities are required
• Knowledge and experience with working in a Containment Level 2 laboratory will be considered an asset
• Excellent computer skills and data management skills; the ability to work effectively under minimal supervision and with others
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal; the ability to communicate directly with clients and provide excellent customer service; and excellent organizational and time management skills are needed
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.