MTS Level 6 - Registered Veterinary Technician - ICU - Emergency Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College *Reposted*
$56,709 to $62,366 per annum, prorated to time and term, as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible to August 29, 2022 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment supporting primary care clinicians and veterinary specialist experts across a small and large animal caseload? Do you want to be part of training and shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital requires a Registered Veterinary Technician to join in a part-time term position working nights primarily within the Small Animal ICU with the flexibility and initiative to float to support the Small Animal Emergency Service and other areas of the teaching hospital to perform other veterinary technician duties in support of patient care and hospital operations.
This position will have primary responsibilities in the Small Animal ICU and Emergency Service with secondary responsibilities within the VTH:
Small Animal ICU and Emergency Service duties:
- Work within a team to undertake technical duties and responsibilities in support of patient and client care across the ICU and primary care emergency service
- Completing and assisting with treatment and monitoring orders for patients
- Perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including triage of emergency presentations, animal handling, restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring progression of hospitalized patients and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Maintain detailed and accurate patient medical records
- Accurately maintaining and updating patient billing and working with clinicians and client services staff to ensure that patient bills are completed and paid prior to patient discharge
- Monitoring, advising, and assisting veterinary students working in the Small Animal ICU and the Emergency Service, and veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs
- Support client services staff in ensuring an excellent client experience, including answering triage calls, taking payments, and ensuring an excellent client experience
- Support emergency service clinicians and VTH interns/residents with client communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education/care)
- Ensure safe administration of medications, treatments and procedures to healthy and compromised patients
- Assist with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring patients under sedation
- Stocking and maintaining supplies, including reconciliation of Cubex inventory cabinets, in various hospital locations
VTH Technician duties:
- Assist as required with small animal hospital services in support of efficient and high standards of patient and client care
- Assist as required in the operating room (OR) including preparing surgical suites pre-operatively, ensuring the availability of equipment and instruments for procedures, clipping/prepping/positioning patients, circulating in operating rooms to facilitate efficient intra-operative assistance and completing operating room records
- Monitoring, assisting with and completing treatments and procedures for patients, including submitting request forms
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any findings or abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or status of their care and well-being
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards and other related technician duties as assigned
- Must be willing to participate as assigned in an on-call schedule as required for hospital operations and may include some evening/weekend/holiday work
- Participate in the training of veterinary students, technician students and post-graduate program veterinarians with confidence and support
- Maintain collegial and professional interactions and communication with colleagues, students, and clients at all times
- Maintain safe, respectful, professional, and ethical conduct, handling and interactions with patients and during patient care as befitting a veterinary teaching hospital environment and in accordance with veterinary regulatory bodies
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) designation is required
- Three (3) years of work experience with small animal patients is required, with the addition of large animal experience preferred
- One (1) year of clinical experience working with patients is an emergency or ICU setting is preferred (with specialty referral hospital experience considered an asset)
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience and confidence with nursing and handling small animal patients, placing catheters, and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection, assisting with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring sedated patients, performing patient assessments, and administering required treatments
- Must possess strong work ethic and accountability with demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills with colleagues and clients, with experience working in a teaching environment an asset
- Demonstrated experience in inputting, maintaining, and reviewing patient billing
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with electronic medical records is required, with preference given to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks and Smart Flow
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.