Systems Librarian - Three (3) Year Term Position - Robertson Library *Amended Closing Date*
The University of Prince Edward Island is one of Canada’s leading liberal undergraduate institutions. Located in Charlottetown on the unceded land of the Mi’kmaq Nation, of the Wabanaki Confederacy, in the traditional district of Epekwitk, UPEI is a central educational, cultural and social institution in the City and the Province. With a diverse population of almost 5,000 students from over 90 countries, the University is best described as a research-intensive primarily undergraduate university, offering traditional programs, professional programs, and interdisciplinary opportunities.
The Robertson Library has a strong expertise in custom web service development and offers solutions to on- and off-campus clients. The library is also an active member of the Islandora software project and runs several local instances.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Systems Librarian will provide technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for software solutions and standards necessary for optimal management of and access to content, digital services and platforms.
The Systems Librarian will work closely with UPEI’s IT Systems and Services (ITSS) to manage the Library’s physical and remote infrastructure. The Systems Librarian manages the integrated library system (Evergreen), an ecosystem of primarily open-source systems, services, and digital platforms, and will contribute to the development and maintenance of the Library’s website. The Systems Librarian in collaboration with ITSS coordinates support for staff and public computers, and software and hardware within the Library. This position is subject to final budgetary approval.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the Systems unit staff (2) and workflow
- Maintain the technology platforms (including local hardware, campus systems, or remote infrastructure) that support library functions and services, including hardware, operating systems, and software updates/upgrades
- Contribute to developing, implementing, and updating policies related to user permissions on digital services, backup scheduling and disaster management, long-term digital preservation, and the lifecycle (approval, development, launch, maintenance, sunsetting, and archiving) of digital projects and services
- Manage projects relating to custom software and service development, including requirements gathering and project execution, deployment, and support
- Be the technical point of contact and client support for digital projects serving internal and external clients
- Coordinate the technical support of digital project clients through site configuration and development
- Maintain library in-house digital services and resources when not included in another librarian’s portfolio
- Maintain the platform and security of the proxy server (currently EZproxy) including managing user access and restrictions
- Actively collaborate and communicate with ITSS and other campus stakeholders as it relates to the Library’s technical and service infrastructure
- Coordinate the maintenance of staff and public desktop and laptop technology and related peripherals
- Participate in library liaison duties including activities related to information literacy instruction, delivering specialized information services, individual research consultations, public service desk shifts, collections development, and preparing library reports for accreditation and academic program reviews
- Participate in library, university, regional, and national committees and organizations as relevant
- Master of Library and Information Science (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution is required. A Computer Science degree or Information Technology related certifications or similar would be an asset
- Minimum of two years' experience supporting an integrated library system/library management system, along with experience managing Linux servers with LAMP stack or equivalent and an interest in supporting and working within an open-source environment
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Proficiency with SQL and SQL scripting, PHP, and XML transformation
- Experience supporting other library-related systems in-house, especially open source (e.g., Drupal-based library website, Islandora) would be an asset
- Knowledge of MARC format an asset
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including students, faculty, and technical staff in individual and group settings
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, diversity and equity
- Ability to thrive in an evolving area of librarianship, as evidenced by creative and analytical thinking and problem-solving
The position is part of the UPEI Faculty Association Bargaining Unit #1, and is expected to be filled at the Rank of Librarian II. The appointment will be effective July 1, 2021 until June 30, 2024.
Candidates must submit to the individual listed below, a cover letter citing the competition number listed above, a full curriculum vitae, and a list of three (3) references including an email address for each. In addition, a one-page statement on how the candidate will implement the principles of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in their professional practice and research and scholarly work is to be included in the application package.
UPEI is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities
An application package including and addressing all of the elements listed above must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to:
Robertson Library, UPEI
550 University Avenue,
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
CANADA, C1A 4P3
The Library wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. Applications shall be assessed by the Library Appointments Committee and a short list of candidates shall be interviewed. Only those applicants selected for the short list will be contacted.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Review of applications will begin on June 18, 2021; however the competition will remain open until the position is filled.