UPEI CASTL Coordinator - Dean of Science Office (Grant Funded)
Commensurate with qualifications and education
As soon as possible for six (6) month term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Dean of Science requires a term contract employee to lead the Faculty of Science in mapping out our connection to the Canadian Alliance for Skills and Training in Life Sciences (CASTL). The UPEI-CASTL Coordinator will report directly to the Dean and will work with the UPEI CASTL Steering Committee to develop an overall plan for UPEI’s involvement in CASTL programming.
The Faculty of Science offers undergraduate and graduate programs in five departments, two schools, and a number of articulated and stand-alone programs, including the Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology offered through an articulation agreement with Holland College. The Canadian Alliance for Skills and Training in Life Sciences (CASTL) is a first-of-its-kind partnership between academia, industry, and government to address the future skills needs of the Canadian life sciences sector.
This employment position is funded by the Canadian Alliance for Skills and Training in Life Sciences.
The successful applicant will:
- Lead the Departments of Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the development of an overall plan for UPEI’s involvement in CASTL programming, including courses within existing programs which include the Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology articulation with Holland College, and the exploration of new programs such as certificates and undergraduate or graduate degrees
- Consult with stakeholders internal and external to UPEI
- Develop an action plan for implementation of new programming, including necessary human resources (both faculty and staff positions)
- Produce a comprehensive report which maps out the next steps for meeting the training needs of the regional Bioscience/Life Sciences Sector and the goals of CASTL, and
- Perform other duties as required
Successful applicants will possess:
- A graduate degree (PhD preferred) in Biology, Chemistry or Physics with experience related to Biosciences/Life Sciences/Biotechnology
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience interacting with industry and other stakeholders
- Previous experience in academic program development is an asset
- Knowledge of the Atlantic Canadian bioscience sector is an asset
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, and communication skills
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.