MTS Level 5 - Dairy Research Technician - Maritime Quality Milk - Department of Health Management - Atlantic Veterinary College (Grant Funded)
$50,249 to $55,299 per annum as per CUPE 1870 (Grant Funded)
December 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
Maritime Quality Milk (MQM) is a program for field and laboratory research for the dairy industry. MQM is seeking applications from qualified individuals for a term dairy research technician position. This is a temporary (4-month) position, renewable, subject to availability of funding and satisfactory performance reviews. The successful applicant will report to the project Principal Investigators or their designate.
- Carry out a variety of field data collection projects and other duties related to the Atlantic Johne's Disease Initiative, the Antimicrobial Stewardship initiative and associated projects, as assigned by the Director or designate
- Field environmental sample collection from dairy farms for lab testing
- Must be proficient at engaging dairy producers one-on-one
- Electronic data entry and other duties as assigned by the Director or their designate
- Responsible for following study protocols to ensure that technical aspects of studies are conducted as specified, paying careful attention to accurate record-keeping
- Extensive out-of-province travel and some irregular hours, including weekend work will occur
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in agriculture preferred
- Minimum 12 months experience in the dairy industry and in field sample and data collection preferred
- Rigorous documentation skills, computer skills including Microsoft Office (including spreadsheets)
- Ability to learn new procedures quickly and repeat precisely and accurately
- Must be a strong team player as well as being self-motivated and able to work independently
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.