MTS Level 9 - Central Services Laboratory - Department of Pathology and Microbiology - Atlantic Veterinary College
$68,610 to $ 75,481 per annum as per CUPE 1870
December 9, 2019 to December 8, 2020 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Department of Pathology and Microbiology requires a full-time senior technologist for a one-year term in Central Services Laboratory, the main support lab for AVC laboratories involved in teaching, research and diagnostic activities. The main support services provided by this lab include laboratory labware wash-up, microbiological culture media preparation, and the sterilization of both laboratory equipment as well as biohazardous waste. Ancillary services are also provided, such as providing incidental lab supplies at nominal cost, disposing of hazardous chemical waste, dispensing of liquid nitrogen, and the making of dry ice blocks from liquid carbon dioxide, the coordination of the AVC total chemical inventory and safety data sheet (SDS) library (as required by the Prince Edward Island Occupational Health and Safety Act), and the review of UPEI Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) Applications.
- Organization of logistics for the provision of autoclave and wash-up services including writing/ maintaining SOPs and inventory
- Coordination, scheduling, and training of service staff
- Consult with Central Services clients to address individual service support needs
- Media preparation procedures, setting media prices, calculation of media bills, ordering supplies, managing a budget
- Maintain the Quality Assurance Program for quality control of bacterial media
- Maintenance of records of services provided and monitor quality control procedures
- Responsible for equipment maintenance and training of new users of major shared equipment, e.g., ultracentrifuge
- Coordination of AVC Chemical Inventory and updates of SDS for the College
- Responsible for disposal of hazardous chemical waste and maintenance of the AVC hazardous chemical waste warehouse
- Delivery of liquid nitrogen to cryogenic storage dewars
- Assist in training of staff and students in biohazardous and lab waste management procedures
- Oversee the VTH Biowaste Management Program
- Adjudication of IBC biosafety procedures for adherence to UPEI laboratory biowaste management protocols
- Member of the AVC Health & Safety Working Group
- Bachelor of Science in a relevant discipline
- Additional applied laboratory training such as a M.L.T. would be an asset
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet programs and web searches is essential
- Thorough knowledge of sterilization and disinfection, and chemical compatibility for storage of hazardous chemical waste
- Understanding of microbiological media preparation and background in chemical reagent preparation
- Experience in laboratory safety; current in all UPEI Laboratory Safety/Health and Safety/Biosafety protocols
- Experience or knowledge working in a Containment Level 2 laboratory an asset
- Experience working with budgets is an asset
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Ability to problem solve, multitask, and remain calm under pressure a must
- 3-5 years’ experience in health science research and/or diagnostic laboratory
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.