Research Associate - School of Climate Change and Adaptation (Grant Funded)
$46,200 per annum (Grant Funded)
November 1, 2022 to October 31, 2024 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The Canadian Centre for Climate Change and Adaptation (CCCCA) at the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) is seeking a Research Associate to work on several research projects related to carbon emission reduction and mitigation. The CCCCA is a 45,000 square-foot research facility located in the community of St. Peter’s Bay, PEI. The facility and the lands surrounding it serves as a living laboratory that allows for unlimited access to nearby wetlands, forests, and coastal habitats. The CCCCA is a world leading research and teaching center in understanding and adapting to climate change impacts.
The research focus of this position will include:
- Measuring the carbon flux of ecosystems and agricultural systems for PEI using various remote sensing and drone technologies as well as field measurements
- Quantifying the carbon sequestration potentials for all types of ecosystems and agricultural systems in PEI
- Developing a GIS- and web-based data portal to support the dynamic mapping of historical and current carbon fluxes across PEI and the scenario-based mapping of carbon sequestration potentials until 2050 with consideration of future climate change impacts (here is an example data portal: https://atlas.peiclimate.ca/)
In addition to leading on these research activities, the Research Associate is expected to:
- Publish research results on a timely manner in high-impact journals
- Write project reports and research proposals
- Organize meetings/webinars/conferences
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate students
The successful candidate for this position should:
- Have a PhD degree in related areas (e.g., climatology, GIS, remote sensing, environmental science, environmental engineering, computer science, biology, agricultural engineering, and so on)
- Be self-motivated and have strong written and oral communication skills and demonstrated experience with managing multiple tasks
- Should have demonstrated research experience in carbon emission reduction and mitigation (e.g., publications in high-impact journals) and practical web- and GIS-based programming experience for climate data analysis and visualization
- Have sufficient knowledge about various remote sensing datasets and tools and be able to utilize them for the above-mentioned research activities
- Be willing to collaborate and work with a multi-disciplinary research team
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.