Business Development Engineers (Two (2) Positions) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering *Amended*Reposted
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering (FSDE) at UPEI, located at 550 University Ave in Charlottetown, PEI, is a unique engineering education program. The program is heavy linked to industry through an Advisory Council, the Design Clinic program, student work placements and Research and Development.
The Faculty is currently seeking two (2) well-rounded individuals for the position of Business Development Engineer (BDE). Working within the Industry Partnership group and under the direction of the Director of Industry Partnerships, the prime responsibility of the BDE is to establish and manage relationships with community and industry partners of the Faculty.
- Promote & explain the value added services of the Faculty to community and industrial clients in a broad range of geographical and business sectors
- Developing and managing long-term relationships with companies, potential funding agencies and other key stakeholders
- Conduct industrial assessments (including technical/environmental constraints) to identify potential projects and their compatibility with the capabilities and focus areas of the Faculty
- Negotiate memorandum of understandings with potential clients, which identify items to be considered in clinic agreements and/or collaborative research and development projects. Work with legal and other key stakeholders on formal contracts
- Responsible for coordination with clinic facilitators in the assignment of projects to clinic teams to ensure project outcomes and expectations are met
- Responsible for supervision of the technical staff in the identification, scope and delivery of short-term design support and fabrication projects
- Work closely with the Faculty’s Industrial Centres of Excellence in the identification, scope and delivery of longer term research and development collaboration projects
- Consult with Synapse when negotiating/signing a variety of partnership, project and/or clinic agreements, particularly if they have the potential for commercialization or intellectual property considerations
- Responsible for technical resources of the Faculty during the project definition, contract negotiations and signing phases
- Service as account manager and quality assurance for the assessment of assigned project portfolios including post-delivery follows up related to performance assessments and/or future project possibilities
- Compile and create project reports for the Industry Partnership groups and the Industry Partnership Director
- Degree in Engineering
- Must be eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in the Province of Prince Edward Island
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in an industry closely aligned with one the Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering's strategic focus areas; i.e., mechatronics, sustainable energy, bioresources, biomedical engineering, advanced manufacturing
- Experience with external business development activities
- Experience in analyzing process line layout, performance and related automation technologies
- Experience in crafting and negotiating agreements and contracts
- Strong analytical, documentation and presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written English is mandatory (fluency verbal and written in at least one other language would be an asset)
- Strong computer skills (MS Office) with knowledge of and/or willingness to learn CAD/CAM and performance simulation programs
- Ability to work independently and under time pressures
- Team oriented
- Willingness to travel on a weekly basis or whenever needed
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.