MTS - Laboratory Technician - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science (Grant Funded)
$46,960 per annum, as per CUPE 1870 (Grant Funded) (Off Scale)
August 29 to December 31, 2022 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The UPEI marine natural products laboratory is seeking an entry-level chemistry/microbiology laboratory technician to assist in its efforts to discover innovative new natural products for biomedical, agricultural, and consumer care applications. The successful applicant will work under the supervision of senior laboratory staff.
- Assist with the isolation, identification, and fermentation of marine microorganisms
- Purify, cultivate, and archive a diverse selection of bacteria and fungi
- Perform fermentation extractions and assist in the fractionation and archival of fractionated extracts
- Participate in experiments to investigate the genetic basis of natural product biosynthesis
- Workplace safety is an essential component of the role, and the successful candidate will be expected to adhere to UPEIs safety protocols and procedures and play an active role in the laboratory safety program
- At minimum, a BSc degree in chemistry or biology (or related field)
- Excellent aseptic technique and have experience in basic microbiology techniques (isolation, cultivation, preservation)
- Knowledge of molecular techniques used to identify bacteria and fungi
- Experience in conducing fermentation extractions using organic solvents
- Strong organizational skills
- Good communication skills
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Would be an asset:
- Specific experience isolating, identifying, cultivating, and archiving actinomycete bacteria and ascomycete fungi
- Experience in DNA extraction from actinomycetes, ascomycetes and unicellular bacteria
- Experience in 16S rRNA and ITS gene sequence PCR amplification and sequence analysis
- Basic understanding of mass spectrometry
- Molecular biology experience (e.g., gene fragment cloning, transformation, PCR, qPCR)
- Laboratory biosafety training, especially experience working with risk group 2 biohazards in a containment level 2 laboratory
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.