Student Research Assistant - Department of Biology - Faculty of Science
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – October, 2022 (12 Week Period)
Student Research Assistant - The Biology Department is seeking applicants to work with the Open Educational Resource (OER) Development Program to assist in creating online lab material for students studying human histology. The successful candidate will provide support to educators in the creation, adaptation, adoption, and review of open education resources (OERs). The applicant will be expected to demonstrate good communication ability, sound judgment, flexibility, and initiative.
- Meeting with lab coordinator to help reframe and represent course content in new and inventive ways
- Assisting with existing and new histology-based OER creation/adoption through technical and editorial support
- Develop and publish a collection of different digitized specimens from all relevant tissues/organs.
- Develop learning tools that relate curricula to aid students in making connections between basic anatomy and clinical applications or between normal morphology and disease states
- Preference will be given to UPEI students
- Writing and/or copy-editing, photoshop, photography, microscopy,
- Competency or the ability to gain competency with training provided, with a variety of online systems, such as WordPress, Pressbooks, Drupal, Latex, or HSP would be considered an asset
- Intermediate to advanced microscopy/histology/anatomy skills, are considered an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.