Student Research Assistant - Department of Sociology and Anthropology - Faculty of Arts
$15.75 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
As soon as possible – September 6, 2021
Dr. Philippe Messier is seeking an undergraduate Student Research Assistant to support their SSHRC funded research project, entitled “Connecting People Positively: The Infrastructure of Mobility in Democratic India and Socialist Vietnam.”
Under the direct supervision of Dr. Messier, the student will:
- Help collect primary data from audio-visual media, especially Vietnam Television
- Code and categorize for preliminary analysis
- Translate from Vietnamese to English
- Perform other research duties as required
- 3rd or 4thyear undergraduate UPEI student
- Background in sociocultural anthropology
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of Vietnamese
- Experience with Vietnam-based media production
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Highly motivated and responsible
- The ability to work independently and efficiently
- Access to a computer, internet, and video recording capability
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.