Permanent Track Position - Systems Librarian - Robertson Library
The University of Prince Edward Island is one of Canada’s leading liberal undergraduate institutions. Located in Charlottetown, UPEI is a central educational, cultural and social institution in the City and the Province. With a population of almost 5,000 part-time and full-time students, the University is best described as a research-intensive primarily undergraduate university, offering traditional programs as well as many unique areas of study, including professional programs, and has a strong research focus.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Systems Librarian will provide technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for traditional and emerging software solutions and standards necessary for optimal management of and access to content, digital services and platforms. This position is subject to final budgetary approval.
The Systems Librarian will work closely with UPEI’s IT Systems and Services (ITSS) to manage the Library’s physical and remote infrastructure. The Systems Librarian manages the integrated library system (Evergreen), an ecosystem of primarily open-source systems, services, and digital platforms, and will contribute to the development and maintenance of the Library’s website. The Systems Librarian in collaboration with ITSS coordinates support for staff and public computers, and software and hardware within the Library.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the successful applicant will:
- Manage the Systems unit staff and workflow
- Maintain the technology platforms (including local hardware, campus systems, or remote infrastructure) that support library functions and services, including hardware, operating systems, and software updates/upgrades
- Contribute to developing, implementing, and updating policies related to user permissions on digital services, backup scheduling and disaster management, long-term digital preservation, and the lifecycle (approval, development, launch, maintenance, sunsetting, and archiving) of digital projects and services
- Manage projects relating to custom software and service development, including requirements gathering, execution, deployment, and support
- Be the technical point of contact and client support for digital projects serving internal and external clients
- Coordinate the technical support of digital project clients through site configuration and development
- Maintain library in-house digital services and resources when not included in another librarian’s portfolio
- Maintain the platform and security of the proxy server (currently EZproxy) including managing user access and restrictions
- Actively collaborate and communicate with ITSS and other campus stakeholders as it relates to the Library’s technical and service infrastructure
- Coordinate the maintenance of staff and public desktop and laptop technology and related peripherals
- Participate in library liaison duties including activities related to information literacy instruction, delivering specialized information services, individual research consultations, collections development, and preparing library reports for accreditation and academic program reviews
- Participate in library, university, regional, and national committees and organizations as relevant
- Master of Library and Information Science (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution is required
- A Computer Science degree or Information Technology related certifications or similar would be an asset
- Minimum of two years' experience supporting an integrated library system/library management system
- Minimum of two years’ experience managing Linux servers with LAMP stack or equivalent and an interest in supporting and working within an open-source environment
- Experience supporting other library-related systems in-house, especially open source (e.g., Drupal-based library website, Islandora), an asset
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Proficiency with SQL and SQL scripting, PHP, and XML transformation
- Knowledge of MARC format an asset
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including students, faculty, and technical staff in individual and group settings
- Ability to thrive in an evolving area of librarianship, as evidenced by creative and analytical thinking and problem-solving
The position is part of the UPEI Faculty Association Bargaining Unit #1, and is expected to be filled at the Rank of Librarian II. The appointment will be effective July 1, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants sent via e-mail are preferred. Applications to include curriculum vitae, names of three references and a cover letter.
Inquiries and applications should be directed to:
Robertson Library, UPEI
550 University Avenue,
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
CANADA, C1A 4P3
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Closing date for applications is March 27, 2020.