W.A. Murphy Student Centre
The long-awaited W.A. Murphy Student Centre was opened in 2002, replacing “The Barn,” which for many years housed the Student Union and Panther Lounge and was demolished in 2002.
The Centre was named for W.A. “Bill” Murphy (1928–1994), a long-time supporter of education in Prince Edward Island. Intended to be the heart of the UPEI campus community, the W.A. Murphy Student Centre is located on the former site of the Alumni Gymnasium, on the western edge of campus, just off University Avenue.
Building Code: MSC
Building Number: 4
Buidling Type: Building
Architect: WHW Architects Inc.
Year Built: 2002
Total Area: 49,625 ft2 (4,610 m2)
Structure: Concrete block, structural steel
Primary Role/Purpose: Food services, student support
- McMillan Hall
- Student Day Lounge - Credit Unions of PEI
- Health and Wellness Centre
- Psychology Training Clinic
- UPEI Student Union
- The Cadre (student newspaper)
- The Fox and Crow
- Tim Horton's
- Nexus (yearbook)