Steel Building

Steel Building opened in 1950 as a Convent for the Sisters of St. Martha, housing a chapel, dining hall, kitchen, infirmary and a dormitory for the Sisters who worked there. When it was remodelled in 1975, to make way for the School of Music, it was named in honour of Dr. G. Douglas Steel, former Principal of Prince of Wales College. The former chapel became the Dr. Steel Recital Hall and the infirmary and dormitory rooms became studios, with the lower level still functioning as kitchen and cafeteria until 1990.  

Building Code: SB
Building Number: 6
Building Type: Building
Architect: James E. Harris
Year Built: 1950
Total Area: 33,460 ft2 (3,108 m2)
Structure: Concrete block, face brick
Primary Role/Purpose: Academic


  • Music
About UPEI

Relevant Links