Project Manager - Information Technology Systems and Services
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
As soon as possible until October 2022 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
UPEI requires an experienced Project Manager to lead a series of projects aimed at delivering a new technology eco system in terms of the applications that support the UPEI campus community as well as its underlying network infrastructure. Additionally the individual will provide project management leadership in support of other strategic initiatives across the university.
The role of the Project Manager is to plan, execute, and finalize projects according to strict deadlines and within budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle.
Working as part of the Senior Project Team, the project manager accomplishes project objectives by planning and monitoring project activities. The project manager/leader works in close collaboration with the vendor project managers to make sure the projects stays on track from all aspects of the delivery.
Project Manager duties include the following:
- Confirm project scope, goals and deliverables that support university's goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders
- Cooperatively plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools with vendor project leader
- Track project milestones and deliverables
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle
- Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management for deployment with other projects
- Confirm estimates of resources and participants needed to achieve project goals
- Confirm budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary during project cycle
Work with the vendor Project Leader to:
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project
- Drive project execution: track project activities to ensure delivery, monitor & handle changes, conflicts & escalations
- Handle customer & stakeholder engagement: manage & build stakeholder confidence & trust, ensure project progress arranging meetings & customer events
- University degree or college diploma in the field of Business Administration, Project Management, or a related field and/or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Certifications in process improvement, Lean Six Sigma, and /or Leading Change would be considered an asset
- Experience with implementing an ERP system within a post-Secondary institution would be considered an asset
- Experience implementing large scale network modernization projects based on Cisco technologies would be considered
- 5 years of proven project management in a large scale IT environment
- Strong familiarity with project management software, such as MS Project
- Demonstrated experience in leading change and change management
- Database and operating systems experience with MS SQL, SQL Server, MS SharePoint, Business Objects
- Competent and proficient understanding of ERP platforms, such as Ellucian’s Colleague
- Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management
- Technically competent with various software programs, such as O365. Google, MS Project, Process Modeling, Tableau
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.